Wednesday, January 16, 2013

High fiber breakfast: Crispy French Toast

I would like to share this yummy breakfast recipe we've been enjoying these days! Not only it tastes great, but it is also as healthy as it gets, full high fiber and protein. And if you add a fruit salad on a side, then it is even better!





The inspiration for this breakfast came from here. Only I gave it more fiber by changing the bread to a multi-grain toast, and using bran cereal instead of cornflakes.

I usually make 2 toasts, for myself and Santino (my husband is not a fan of French toasts, he is more eggs and bacon kind of guy).
  • 2 multi-grain toast slices
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • 1 tbs flour
  • vanilla
  • 1 cup of bran flakes

I warm up the oven to 400 F. I rub a baking dish with butter, so that it is covered, but not clumping too much.

I toast the bread slices. I usually set the toaster on 4, so that the would come out crispy, not just warm. Meanwhile, I beat up an egg with milk. I then beat in the flour and a few drops of vanilla and just a tiny bit of salt. I don't put any sugar.

I crush the bran flakes with my fingers and place them in a bowl. Take out the toast slices, cut in 4 pieces, soak a little bit in the egg mixture (not too long, so that they don't fall apart). Then dip the slices in the flakes and arrange in the baking dish.

Set the kitchen timer to 10 minutes, and bake on the middle rack. Then flip over and bake for 5 more minutes.

Serve with a few drops of maple syrup or honey with a fruit salad on a side.