Monday, August 13, 2012

Finding the Energy

I didn't get much sleep last night, I was up every 2 hours between both boys. The first thing I did this morning was make a coffee and make Liam breakfast. I had a mid morning coffee during our morning play date. When I went home I made Liam lunch and spent Liam's nap time cleaning. When he woke up I asked Liam if he wanted to go for a big walk. As soon as the words came out of my mouth I immediately regretted them. I was feeling the inevidable caffiene crash. There was no way I had the energy for a walk! My first thought was, I'll have another coffee and then go for a walk. I made myself another coffee and sat down. Then it hit me, I had not eaten other than a couple of scraps off Liam's plate (1/4 of a piece of toast and a slice of cucumber). No wonder I didn't want to go for a walk! I poured my coffee down the drain, gulped down a huge glass of water and made myself a spinach salad. Then voila, just like Popeye I was recharged and ready to go!
I've decided that I need to make a commitment to myself. So...
... I'm trading my coffee in for water,
...I'm trading simple sugars in for fruit and veggies, and
...I'm reconnecting with breakfast.
I need to eat for energy and let food be fuel for my body, instead of sugar and caffeine. I'm hoping these steps will help me feel energized, and maybe I'll lose a few pounds while I'm at it.
 
How do you eat for energy?